Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

A proud day

I live in the DC area, and I voted for Obama (heck, I even gave money to Obama), but I confess I was never tempted to go down to the Mall to watch the inauguration in person. First, the temperature was in the upper 20's (Fahrenheit); second, "in person" looses a lot when you can't really see anything except a Jumbotron screen (if you're lucky); and third, over a million people in that small a space is pretty scary. So, to paraphrase Whoopi Goldberg, "that's what TV is for."

But still, even sitting in my own house watching my own TV, I got a little choked up. That man knows how to deliver a speech. I know he was most likely more editor than author where the text was concerned, but he really laid it on the line. And he never misprounced or misused a word! Oh, happy day! English teachers everywhere are breathing a sigh if relief.

I just hope everyone makes it home okay, including those of my coworkers who were more up to the challenge than I was.

freehit counter


hit counter


( 4 comments — Leave a comment )
Jan. 21st, 2009 06:40 am (UTC)
If I lived there (actually if I realized you lived there and if I had a half of a chance to crash at your place....) I would have went.

However, I do admit the weather sounds a bit daunting to a native Southern Californian like me.

It's been 80 degrees here for the last ten days....
Jan. 21st, 2009 01:32 pm (UTC)
yeah, some of the folks from warmer climates looked really, really cold on the TV coverage. They said it was the 6th coldest inauguration, from when they started keeping records.

Jan. 23rd, 2009 06:07 pm (UTC)
Memories made
My wife and I went to the inauguration and waited three hours in line on Monday after flying in from Boston. We missed the opportunity to get tickets to Aretha Franklin's, concert because we where in line for so long. We went back to our hotel had diner and went to sleep. Got up at 4:30a.m for the third night in a row and stood in line in the silver ticket line on 3rd street. After three and half hours of waiting the crowd started pushing and shoving. At that point my wife and I decided to remove ourselves from the line and try to get a train back to the hotel. We walked around everything for hours trying to locate a train station that was open. We found one after walking what I estimate was two and a half miles. We watched the inauguration when we got back to Boston. I am still glad we went as all of the people we meet had such hope and happiness in them that it radiated throughout the state. GOOD LUCK TO THE PRESIDENT AND TO US THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WHO STILL BELIEVE THAT AMERICA IS THE BEST NATION IN THE WORLD.
Jan. 23rd, 2009 06:11 pm (UTC)
Re: Memories made
Good for you! I am so glad you go to see something. Some of my coworkers got caught up in bottlenecks and waited hours in the cold without getting to see anything. That was bad enough but they didn't have to travel to get here.

( 4 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

June 2016


Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow